Last night, I completed the final stepper motor driver board. I re-tested all three and all three leds light up nicely.
The final board went very smoothly. I'm finally getting a bit more confidence with soldering, and third time around I knew where most of the components went. I started after the police dogs program last night, and finished just before big brother, so it took me almost exactly one hour.
Timings for each board (starting from scratch, with little soldering experience, pretty cautious):
Practice - 1.5 hrs
Arduino shield, DC motor driver, PWM - approx 1.5 - 2 hrs each
6 opto-endstops - 2.5 hours total
stepper 1 - 1.5 hrs
stepper 2 - 1.25 hrs
stepper 3 - 1hr
(timings include setting up and tidy up for each session)
All in all, the electronics went better than I expected. Because of the separate boards, they fit well into doing a board during an evening. If you sat down and worked continuously, things would probably go faster - but I didn't have a weekend free.
I've been able to test the PWM and DC driver boards, but the steppers have yet to be connected to a real stepper.
Now, I'm just waiting for the bitsfrombytes kit to arrive...