Thursday 26 February 2009

RepRap Software

Over the last couple of days, I've installed the RepRap software on my tablet PC. Last time I didn't have much luck, but this time I've sorted out the Arduino issue I had before. The /dev/ttyUSB0 port has restricted permissions - you need to run the Arduino software as root to enable the 'USB' select. I'm not sure if it's a general issue or just on my laptop.

The Skeinforge scripts are a set of Python scripts that slice a model and write G-Code (text code to control a CNC/RepRap). I got them up and running and sliced some example files.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I slice the example minimug.stl, I get longtidudinal slices (C-shaped) as it tries to build the minimug on it's side. There doesn't seem to be an option to rotate the file in the scripts.

I fired up AOI (Art Of Illusion) and built myself a replacement minimug oriented differently. When I pass it through the skeinforge now, it seems to slice into better slices (circles) as I expected. Here's a few layers:

You can clearly see the raft laid down underneath the object, the base of the shot glass and the circular layers building up. It looks like the walls will be 2 layers thick.

When running the code through ReplicatorG (to pass the code to a simulator or the real RepRap) it appears to draw over the outer circle several times. I have yet to test this out for real...

At least I know the toolchain to build an object, slice it, check the G-code and then attempt to pass it on works...

I'll try to build an object soon.

1 comment:

Buzz said...

the reprap 'host' software has the ability to rotate objects imported from STL, and save the resulting gcode. just click the imported object in the GUI, and choose the appropriate 'rotate' option from the menus. then use the preferences menu to 'save as gcode'.